News for Consumers

Find out how the RHRA supports you in making an informed decision about Retirement Homes

Public Alerts:
In Touch (which also goes by the names Rosemount Place and The Brick House) of 64 King Street Toronto (Weston), is operating without a retirement home licence. Details can be found here

For a complete list of unlicensed Operators, check the Public Register.

Important information about Seeley’s Bay
The Registrar has issued a new licence number to Westboro Mortgage Investment LP Acting Licensee, to operate Seeley’s Bay.

Westboro Mortgage Investment LP notified the RHRA Registrar that it exercised its security interest in the property. Westboro, a management company with experience in the licensed retirement home sector will continue to provide residents with care and other services during the tenure of the Acting Licensee. More information can be found here.

The Licence Appeal Tribunal revoked the licensee of Seeley’s Bay effective April 21, 2017.More information on this decision can be found here.

Differences between Retirement and Long-Term Care Homes
If you’ve never lived in a retirement home or needed long-term care, you may not be aware of how different the two really are. If you are considering a retirement home, here’s what you need to know.

Finding a home that’s right for you
If you or a loved one are considering moving into a Licensed Retirement Home, an important part of your research should be a search of the RHRA Public Register which lists all the Homes and their inspection reports. RHRA is here to help you make an informed choice.

News for Homes

Keeping Contact Information Current
If at any time there are changes to the contact name and/or email address, please fill out the Notice of Change form and send it to or contact 1-855-ASK-RHRA (1-855-275-7472) for more information.

Mandatory Sprinklers Reminder
Licensed retirement homes must be retrofitted with automatic sprinklers by January 1, 2019. Further details can be found here

If you’re Planning to Sell a Home
Retirement home licences are not transferable. Licences do not transfer as part of a sale of a home or a sale of a company that owns a home. Prospective owners or operators must apply for and obtain a licence before acquiring and operating a retirement home. Retirement home licences terminate upon the sale of a home or after a change in controlling interest.

Licensees must give the Registrar advance written notice of a sale of a home or certain changes in the ownership of a licensee (these changes are referred to as, "changes in controlling interest"). The Notice of Change of Controlling Interest form, can be found here. Notice must be two months in advance or as soon as practicable. If a licensee is closing a home or selling it to an unlicensed operator, the licensee must provide the Registrar with a transition plan four months before date the home will close or transfer. The plan must explain how the licensee will manage the process of ceasing to operate a retirement home. The RHRA is glad to answer any questions about buying or selling, ceasing to operate, a retirement home.

Issues relating to the buying and selling of retirement homes, and changes in the ownership of licensees, can get complicated. You should contact the RHRA or get professional advice if you have any questions.

About the RHRA

The RHRA is an independent, not-for-profit corporation established under the Retirement Homes Act, 2010 (the Act) by the Ontario government. The RHRA’s paramount concern is to protect seniors living in Ontario retirement homes. Read More

Terms of Use   Privacy Statement   Contact Us
©2011-2017 Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority